6.01.2010

Let's Talk Life

The Toronto Star has the best obituaries. They go into detail about the person's life and their contribution to society and their family. Not like the Toronto Sun where it merely talks about when the person died and who is mourning; nothing meaningful about the person. But that is the most important part in honouring someone's death. Clearly the more loving mourners purchase ads in the Star. It's amazing what you can learn about someone from a $50 blurb.

I want to go to a random person's funeral. Who knows? It could be yours! There's something about learning the history of a deceased person that fascinates me. See what they accomplished and how their family appreciated them. Everyone leaves their own mark, but not everyone can be praised. Little victories: a father who was always there for his children, a war veteran, someone's best friend, a dirt bag serial killer (Hey, I bet their story would be interesting). Funerals are just a celebration of life, whether good or bad; everyone has a contribution, and there is something beautiful about that.

Death has always fascinated me and I will admit that I'm quite morbid (I mean, I read obituaries for goodness sake). I embrace spirits and ghosts... assuming they're real. I'll admit to the fact that they could be psychological but I'm leaning towards otherwise. I'd love to work in the "death" industry (ie. somehow with funerals) but my education doesn't allow for it. Perhaps I'll make a documentary about it someday.

In the meantime I'll continue to respect the peace, or recklessness, of the dead and linger on my morbid fascinations. I had a fantastic quote from a piece in the death notices today but I can't find it online and I currently don't have the paper. But it kind of reiterated what I was saying about celebrating life!

Peaceful sleeps folks (R.I.P.)
-Xesetarip

0 comments:

Post a Comment